Early Relapse Warning Phases and Warning Signs
Support Systems Homes draws heavily from The
Gorski-CENAPS model for preventing and treating relapse. This model
identifies phases and warning signs for relapse. Phases and warning
- Return to denying there's a problem
- Avoidance and defensive behavior
- Crisis building
- Immobilization (inability to take any action)
- Confusion and Over-reaction
- Behavioral loss of control
- Recognition of loss of control
- Option reduction (feeling trapped and that
there are only 3 ways out - insanity, suicide or drug use)
- Acute relapse episode
Important Note: Intervention during
any of these phases CAN re-engage you in recovery!
Within each of these warning phases are symptoms you or others can pick up on. For instance:
- Stopping or decreasing recovery-related activities
- Isolating from friends, family and peers in recovery
- Becoming defensive in response to questions about your well-being
- The inability to stop thinking about alcohol and other drugs
- Becoming confused, irritable or angry
- Trouble sleeping
- Excessive worrying about others instead of self
TEN COMMON RELAPSE DANGERS
If you are experiencing the following situations, you may be in danger of relapse. Please ask for help!
1. Being in the presence of alcohol and/or other drugs, those who are drinking or using
2. Feelings we perceive as negative, particularly anger; also sadness,
loneliness, guilt, fear, and anxiety
3. Positive feelings that make you want to "celebrate"
5. Getting high on any drug
6. Physical pain
7. Listening to war stories and dwelling on getting high
8. Suddenly having a lot of cash
9. Not informing your doctor about your recovery program.
Prescriptions medications can lead to improper use and new
dependencies; this is a frequent road to relapse.
10. Becoming complacent - the recovering person can convince himself
and sometimes others that he or she doesn't have a problem – and
Are You or Someone You Care About in Danger of Relapsing?
If you feel you're at risk or you think a loved one may be, please call Support Systems Homes at (800)
811-1800 before the situation gets worse.
We provide various levels of drug treatment and relapse prevention tailored to your needs at our treatment centers in San
Jose. We also offer sober living homes in San Jose,
Campbell, Santa Clara and other areas throughout Silicon Valley.
You have options to help you stay in recovery. If you see relapse warning signs in your life, call us today.